Saturday, July 9, 2011

eve of 34

It is the eve of my 34th birthday and for the first time ever I am sitting exactly where I expected to be, in the darkness, typing away at my computer as my children and husband sleep peacefully in their beds. My cat is outside somewhere, prowling, or cowering, against the sounds of the wild night, and I am here, awoken after a very short spurt of sleep, and honestly, I should have known this would happen since I was composing an email to a beloved friend moment’s before I fell into sleep’s arms. Yet, I tried to stay away from the inevitable, I tried to be still and rest, but some things, like nightly excursions of typing, cannot be held in check before your day is done, and the oblivion of sleep is allowed to completely take over your consciousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment