Saturday, September 11, 2010

editor in chief

within my mind lies an internal editor. a voice that tells me everything that is wrong with my writing ... my grammatical errors are gross and frequent, my plots are loose and my sentence structure is deplorable ... too many commas, frequent run-on sentences, too many descriptive adjectives, not enough dialogue, not nearly enough connections to form the whole of a story and dear god! you're writing about vampires? seriously?! dude, that genre is full! the world does not need another vampire novel!

and it's usually at this point when the other part of my mind steps in and says: shut the fuck up!

and again i begin to write with even more flagrant uses of commas, lengthy arduous sentences with brilliant and vibrant adjectives among pages and pages of zero dialogue with no continuity between scenes and all of it chock full with vampires, squirt guns filled with rosewater and pistol crossbows slung across the back of a butch vampire hunter dressed in doc marten's and leather ... and suddenly my mind thinks ... maybe i should have majored in art so i could have developed my drawing skills and created a comic book? or possibly even stuck with my computer programming skills and created a video game? guess the external editors had more of a say in my life than the internal editor ever did ... and that's all the self-reflection this mind can take for one day, it's possible that notion takes up days and days of self-reflection! whew! i'm done!

No comments:

Post a Comment